Wednesday 3 October 2012

John Salmon's will

THE WILL OF JOHN SALMON OF ALVESTON 1800.

This is the last will and Testament of me John Salmon of Alveston in the County of Gloucester Gentleman.

I give and Devise unto my grandson John Salmon son of my late son Brice Webb Salmon Decd. All that Messuage or Dwelling House wherein I now dwell with the Coachhouse Stable Outhouses Garden and appurtenances thereto belonging situate at Alveston aforesaid and which I purchased of Thomas Hill and Hannah his wife To hold the same to my said Grandson John Salmon his heirs and assigns for ever.

I give to my grandson Thomas Stokes Salmon M.D such of my books as he shall choose, my silver cased bowl my gold watch and the two small enamelled pictures of Michael Beecher (u)? Gent and my late sister Mary Webb.

I give to Brice Vassall Salmon of the City of Bristol Brandy Merchant my Picture of my late son William Salmon decd I give unto my much esteemed friend George Rolph of Thornburg in the said County my repeating clock with it's case and appurtenances.

I give to my Tenant James Williams of Olveston in the said County all my Wearing Apparel of every description all which said several specific legacies I direct shall be delivered at the end of one month next after my decease.

I give to Anne Salmon late of the City of Bristol but at the present residing with me the Sum of Fifty pounds,

To Susan Salmon now also residing with me the sum of nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and to Edward Salmon aforesaid Surgeon the sum of Thirty pounds. I give to such person as shall be Mayor of the Town of Thornburg at my decease and the said George Rolph and also to Kingsmill Grove of Thornburg aforesaid Gentlemen the sum of nineteen pounds nineteen shillings upon trust that they dispose the same to such poor persons of the Town and Borough of Thornburg aforesaid at such time times and-in such manner as they shall think fit. And I desire that this bequest with the manner of disposal thereof may be recorded in the

Mayor's Book of Accounts for the Disposal of Charities belonging to the said Borough - which said several pecuniary legacies I direct to be paid in the three months next after my decease. And as to all the rest and residue of my Goods Chattels and personal estate of every nature and kind I give the same to my grandson John Salmon whom I do appoint to be sole executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills or testaments by me made.

And lastly I desire to be buried in the same grave with the remains of my late dear wife in the churchyard at Thornburg aforesaid at the discretion of my said executors and with as little expence as decency will admit.

In witness hereof I have here unto set my hand and seal this twenty third day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand and eight hundred.

Proved June 1800, at Bristol.

Witness Eliza Doward Eliz Prout H.G.Parslow.

5 comments:

  1. I´m wondering if my grandfather which was John Isac Salmon wich was born in 1880 is related to this John. He came from the parish St Elizabeth Black river of Jamaica. He married his wife Who´s name was Lillian DouglasS Cooper from Mantigo Bay St Cathrine. I that is writing is the grandaugther of John Salmon.He left Jamaica to Cost Rica and never return. He married is wife that was from Mantigo Bay, thy had six children. He named is first daughter Cathrine Salmon, His first son george Salmon, His secound son Thomas Salomon. the secound daugther Rachel Salmon, and the last daugther Susana Salmon. I know that thy are reletive back there. My name is Judith Blake Salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Luke salmon from london

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    I'm Howard Sykes, a Librarian at Bristol Central Library. I'm very interested to know whether the two small enamelled pictures of Michael Beecher(sic)still exist. They are mentioned in John Salmon's will of 1800. Beecher is reputed to have given his mantlepiece to the Library and I'd like to know what the man looked like.

    Thanks in anticipation

    Howard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm researching the Webb family of Bristol - particularly Brice Webbs through several generations from 1675 to 1881. I am wondering what connection there was between the Salmon and Webb families for a son to be named Brice Webb Salmon. I cannot find that any Mr. Salmon married a Miss Webb which might have accounted for this. I wondered whether you might know.

    Many thanks
    Mary Crane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, the connection is that this John Salmon had a sister Mary and she married one of the Brice Webbs, son of Brice Webb and Phoebe Harris.

    ReplyDelete